WEBB PTO MEETING – SEPTEMBER 18, 2019
Call to order: 7:03pm
Members of Leadership Team (Fidiam, Olson, Gilberto, Westbrook, Demonte) –
Grateful for PTO initiatives. Have goals that they are working toward, specifically parent feedback. Have done surveys in the past. Want parent input – what do you want to see come home? Will bring ideas back to Mr. Cop to decide what to do as a school.
Suggestions from parents:
- How does the new math work?
- New Reading Assessment – bands to look for? Ranges are to be given out at conferences in October.
- Foundations of Responsive Classroom? Think Sheets – no more infractions. Conversation with the child about their behavior. What is the parent’s role in this?
- Social Emotional Thinking & Mindfulness – what are the ideas discussed. How to implement them at home? Review the week – find the positive in what they experienced.
- Communications to parents re: awards. Tell the parents when they get an award, especially if they are going to be recognized at a town meeting.
- Email the teachers or PTO if you have more ideas
- Kindergarten ice cream social was a success! This is the third year for this event.
- New this year – Room Liaisons – trying to figure out a way to communicate/connect with parents in each class. Liaisons would bring PTO information back to the class. You are the connection from the PTO to your child’s class. Ex. if we need volunteers, etc. Designated person per class.
- Lisa Stevens – new co-president
- Stop & Shop A+ Rewards – did really well last year. Webb was one of the top earners. Just under $1300 dollars. Easy way to support the school.
- Dunkin Donuts donated $500 and PTO used the money to buy indoor recess games. Filled two carts with games for children to use.
- Passed around committee report for parents to sign up
- Read across America – suggested by Mrs. Gilberto. She will contact PTO with more information.
- A+ rewards check – requirement we will spend the money on educational materials. Need to decide what we are going to spend the money on. We have $1250 we need to spend now.
- $50 per classroom to spend how they want?
- Leadership team to take back to the teachers to get more ideas
- Let PTO know decision by 9/27
- Motion to allow staff to make a recommendation for how to use the funds in lieu of no group consensus we fall back on gift card ideas.
- Vote: Majority voted yes.
- Carrying about $20,000 forward into the 2019/2020 school year. Sixth grade left money behind from last year. Sold extra Stop and Shop Cards from the previous year. We had a surprise extra $1000. One grade did not bill us for a field trip. Fewer expenditures for Cheer.
- Proposal for budget going forward.
- Change Miscellaneous to create line items because they are activities we do each year.
- Dollars for Scholars and Safe Grad have asked for donations
- Enrichment for Specials – board is proposing to add line item for Music and one for Instrumental. Music and Instrumental have agreed to participate in Yard Goats games in Spring 2020
- Enrichment Programs – We have used this in the past for Hip Hop and author visit. Keane has been helping out the past few years. This year Keane is not doing grants or district wide hip hop. Doing both activities is not in our budget. How do we want to use the enrichment dollars? Alternate activities? Bring in something different?
- Parent Suggestions:
- Hour of code
- KC Carl – Bubblemania
- Can we get student input and feedback?
- Bring back to the staff and ask their opinions
- Another change that is suggested: Field Trips covered by PTO
- Field Trips last year went over budget, this year bus cost is going up 3%
- Recommendation is that we put a cap on field trips – $1750 total per year for all classes.
- WSPC – at the last meeting there was some talk about doing town wide group rates. Can we get on board with schools to get discounted rates?
- Motion to put a cap on field trips at $1750 – Jess Kuethman. Second – Morgan Curry.
- Fundraisers were down last year. Recommendation to reduce expected income by $1500.
- Next meeting have more details and finalize the 19/20 budget
- Teachers loved the back to school luncheon that the PTO organized and raffle prizes
- BASS implementation in conjunction with refocus on Tier One instruction. Focus on workshop model.
- Revaluate how Mr. Cop gets out of his office and into the building. One hour each day out in the school to go into the classes, etc.
- Flipping lunch and recess – now we have 3 lunch aides (cut from 5) plus kids were rushing from recess to lunch. Kids running out of time to eat. Collapsed a lunch wave. Lunch will be first. Eat and then line up and go to recess. Teachers then collect them from recess. Implement on Monday 9/23/19.
- Town wide meeting has been run by UA in the past. Climate and Culture Committee will now oversee all the town wide meetings and roll them out. UA will help but not be responsible. Each month will have a theme rooted in behavioral expectations and meeting will relate back to that theme.
- New fundraising idea – YETI cups with WEBB logo. As long as you spend $500 you get 30% back. Want to roll out to staff, parents, etc. Working on details to roll out this fall.
- New teachers hired this year. New ABA teacher, Building Sub, Behavior Interventionist, EL Tutor, School Nurse, Office Clerk.
- Building updates: Tree removal, indoor recess carts, staff documents in google drive to be green, awareness book selection, bell schedule updates, lamination machine, Think Sheets, new copiers.
- Student Sensory Kits – Calm down/fidget kits. One for each classroom.
- Bus Duty Dismissal Changes – kids are dismissed from their classes. Walkers come out front door. Buses are called one at a time and kids go out bottom door.
- Climate and Culture – new committee. How to change mentality and mindset with kids.
- Expected/unexpected, Think it don’t say it, Webb way to be, Social thinking, Classroom contracts, Reinforce good behavior
- Responsive classroom
- Think Sheet – used to have infractions. Punitive in the past – no change in behavior. Think Sheets create relationship between staff and child – have a conversation about what happened.
Creative Arts Council:
- Irish storyteller for all elementary schools this year
6th Grade Committee:
- Formed committee for this year
- Possible bake sale at Hayfest and basketball game
- Request for dues – sent home today
WSPC Board Report:
- $75 due in dues for WSPC from Webb PTO
- Movie on the Green – went really well
- Webb did great with the library reading program this year
- Walk to school coming up on 10/2 – in past years we got funding to get giveaways for students. Did we want to do that this year? Have extra Halloween pencils, can we give those out instead?
- EW child (incoming kindergartner) – consider a donation to scholarship or go fund me page.
- BOE minutes are available online. We won’t’ have a liaison anymore.
- Recommendation is that parents go to the Town Council meeting
- Carina Gomez designing a new PTO website!
- In beta testing right now. Hoping to make it live next week.
- Will be easier to use and get out information to parents.
- Spot on the site for “sponsors” – give a donation and put their company on our website.
- Kristin Maltese – new chair for box tops
- App is new for this year. Actual box tops going away but we’ll collect them until they expire.
- Issue with town football participants parking on grass and littering each evening. Equipment also being left out that children are getting hurt on. Mr. Cop is asking for help to spread the word to football parents to park in the lot and not harm the campus.
- Picture Day – 10/3
- Jog a thon – 10/18
- Hayfest – 10/26 5:30 – 7:30
- Are there any parents would be willing to decorate/set up games, etc. and break down
- Do not have man power to do the haunted trail unless we get new volunteers this year. We have all the supplies, just need help.
- How can we get the kids more involved in the door decorating – need a chair for each grade level for each class to talk to the teachers and get parent volunteers.
- Stop and Shop gift cards – ongoing. Flyer going out in backpacks for purchasing cards.
- Yankee candle – need a volunteer to run this fundraiser in the fall
Minutes from June 2019 PTO meeting approved: Motion to approve: Eileen Alamprese. Second: Morgan Curry
Meeting adjourned: 9:12pm